Hi there! I’m Kim Bongiorno.
I’m about to become your new internet friend (but not in a weird way).
If you want to learn more about my blogging, books or other writing, click here. If you are looking for a new non-weird internet friend, please keep reading!
I am an author, blogger, and freelance writer. This page is where I share the personal side of me. In case you like internetty things, you can catch up with me by clicking any of the buttons below. I show different pieces of myself on each one.
This is me:
Generally speaking, I only put unflattering photos of myself on the internet, usually while unshowered and in very wrinkly clothing. I’m the opposite of a celebrity.
I’m 38 years old, live in the ‘burbs of New Jersey with my husband, 6-year-old daughter and 8-year-old son.
I am very tired.
I am a writer who loves desserts. The writer part has been both 38 years in the making, but 4+ years in the for-real-for-real making. My goal in life is to be a novelist and freelance writer, full time. I am willing to work hard to get there. So far, so good.
Those are the basics. Below is the Good Stuff.
21 Things About Me
1. I like lists. People like my lists. Not my OCD grocery shopping ones. The funny ones.
2. I am the 6th (and last) kid of a combined 3 marriages. Let’s just say that even close friends need a flow chart when I discuss my family.
3. I knew my husband was The One the day we met. He thought I was too tall.
4. I chose my daughter’s name when I was about 11 years old, planning my life once I married Ralph Macchio or Kirk Cameron.
5. I went to college to be a Literature teacher. I love books. I smell them.
6. I didn’t graduate college, and ended up in sales in the Financial Industry. Blech.
7. I can wiggle my eyes.
8. I write all. The. Time. Snippets of stuff is constantly in my brain, fighting to get out. It’s like I’m a really normal-looking person with a slew of characters living in my head. I write down what I can in my phone & email it to myself to make the voices stop. When I literally dream up stories, I try to write them up in my dream journal when I wake up, to work on later.
9. My cat thinks she is a dog. I had her for 15 years, and she still doesn’t believe me when I tell her she is, in fact, a cat. She even barks. So I brought home a new kitten to teach her. And now I have cat-dog fights even though I only have cats. Such is my life.
10. I had a dream that starred 2 characters I ended up writing a book about.
11. I could live on coffee, red wine, breakfast food, dessert & Mexican fare for the rest of my life. Since I don’t want to be a over-caffeinated fat drunk, I exercise regularly and try super-hard to restrain from this lifestyle.
12. I had 2 kids in less than 2 years, yet 10 years before trying to get preggo my doctor told me I’d have a very hard time getting pregnant ever. Two kids is a miracle I treasure every day. Even when they are doing their best to annoy the crap outta me.
13. I’m pretty sure my DVR is my best friend. I cry when she’s not feeling well & doesn’t record things properly.
14. In the space of 1 year, my mom was diagnosed with cancer, my aunt fought and lost a long battle with cancer, my father died of cancer, and my brother had a heart attack in his 30s. I really want to be here for my family, and with mortality staring me in the eye, I’m doing what I can to keep healthy, stay healthy, and talk the rest of my & husband’s family into doing the same.
15. When I was a grade-school kid, I wrote a letter to my future self per assignment requirements. In it, I was writing to a tanned, long-haired single girl who had travelled the world in the Peace Corps. If she only knew she’d instead be talking to a pasty, short-haired married mom of two who went from pounding the pavement in the NYC financial industry to life as a Suburban Stay At Home Mom within a few years….well, maybe her advice would be a bit different.
16. I preface everything, thus the title of the blog. I’m not sure my friends like the quirk or think I need to stop it immediately.
17. I get mistaken for a man on a regular basis. This confirms my belief that people don’t actually look at who they are speaking to any more.
18. I have always loved to travel, but it took me 37 years before I got to Europe. The experience was worth every minute of my patience.
19. I’m allergic to chocolate. It’s actually a metabolic intolerance, but essentially it just means I have to avoid it like the plague. Seriously, life without chocolate? Very, very hard.
20. I have always wanted to be a writer, and have been working hard to get my voice Out There since the Fall of 2010. You should read my stuff, then tell other people to do the same. We would be BFFs if you did this regularly. If you’re looking to hire a professional blogger, essayist or freelance writer? I’m your gal. And you look really lovely today.
21. My friend bullied me into blogging, saying it would help my writing if I wrote about writing and all the stuff in my life I need to deal with that gets in the way of it.
So here I am. Blogging about writing in the midst of a life that’s not so accommodating.
COMMENTS & CONTACT
If you made it this far…thanks for coming! I hope you enjoy what you read, and would love to hear your thoughts or comments.
Speaking of which, I read every single comment and I will try to reply to every comment. If you take the time to share your thoughts, I will show you that I appreciate it.
If you would like to comment more privately on a particular post, Tweet, or Facebook entry, have an idea for a blog post, have a question, or want to give me an enormous cash advance for the book I am writing so I can finally contribute financially to this household, you are welcome to contact me any time via the form below (also located as a Contact Me tab under About Kim).