Sam and Dean Winchester from the CW’s Supernatural are basically you and me. I learned this because I love a good TV binge: they cleanse your soul. At least, they cleanse mine, because I binge from my special corner spot on the couch in the basement, where I cannot see all the housework (or family members) I am ignoring in order to catch up on years of awesome television programming.
My favorite binge so far has absolutely been Supernatural. It has all the elements I look for in a show:
- A great sense of humor: clever asides, dirty jokes, physical humor, silliness, and hot guys being funny.
- Characters you simply can’t get tired of watching. No matter how screwed up they are (and holy crap on a cracker, they are SO SCREWED UP), you adore them.
- The opportunity to discuss the logistics of how to rid the world of a variety of supernatural creatures with my 8-year-old daughter, who is just as big a fan as I am.
But most importantly? It’s relatable.
Sure, I may not live the life of brothers whose family business is hunting down dangerous vampires, demons, werewolves, ghosts, ghouls, deities, angels, and all that jazz, but their gig is pretty darn close to this motherhood gig I’ve been doing for the past decade or so.
Have your doubts?
Here are 13 ways how being a parent is like being Sam and Dean Winchester:
1. You have to figure out the beast you’re dealing with before you can properly deal with it.
2. You have to touch and smell really gross things.
3. You have more than one job.
4. Sometimes you play a puppy-eyed good cop. Other times? Not so much.
5. No story is too weird to be believed.
There’s only one creature who could mess up their bedrooms as quickly as this. Say it with me: WEREPIRE.
6. You repeat yourself. A LOT.
7. You rotate between the same 5 outfits.
8. You’re surrounded by angels and demons on any given day. And on some days: both at the same time.
9. Driver picks the music.
10. You have been known to fall asleep in your car.
11. There is way more research than you thought there’d be.
12. Nobody at the table eats the same thing.
13. Your job can be pretty thankless, so you take whatever wins you can. Especially if it involves dessert.