Mother-in-Laws get a bad rap. Yes, I make fun of mine, too. But I do it to her face.
And she gives it right back to me.
I admit that there are some obstacles to marrying into a family where everyone grew up together in the same neighborhood in Brooklyn, New York. Like the fact that:
~ absolutely nobody has an Indoor Voice
~ they are all so close that we spend hours spooning on the couch when they visit
~ no information is too personal to broadcast to every single living relative (my favorite: the random phone call from the cousin asking about how my butt was after my 1st hemorrhoidectomy)
But since Mother’s Day is upon us, I thought I’d take a moment to celebrate some of the perks of having some a tiny, loud, constantly-cooking Mother-in-Law. I mean, other than the fact that she made the guy I expect to spend the rest of my life with.
…AND DON’T YOU FORGET IT, KIM.
9 Reasons My Italian Mother-in-Law From Brooklyn is Awesome
No, we’re not fighting. This is just how we talk.
9. Each time she sees me, she insists I am too thin and hands me a sandwich.
8. Despite the fact that her son is smart, handsome and successful, she insists he married “up”, simply because I am taller than any of their relatives.
7. She’s short enough to sneak into the movies when we go.
6. She just-so-happens to know of a great deli in every town we drive through.
5. She can’t help but clean my kitchen when she visits.
4. She apologizes when she sees my husband’s dirty clothes everywhere because she knows it’s her fault he can’t seem to locate any of the seven hampers in our home.
3. She tells my husband that I should get a weekly cleaning lady without directly stating that I am as bad a housekeeper as we both know I am.
2. When she does annoy me, I can throw up my hands and yell “Gah! You’re annoying me!”
1. When she does annoy me and I tell her so, she grins, throws her hands up and yells back, “I’m supposed to! I’m your Mother-in-Law! Now shut up and eat this rice ball.”
I can’t be the only one who adores her Mother-in-Law, so Speak Up:
What do you love about yours?
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Also: Congratulations to the
Making Mom Brite with @MommyShorts Giveaway Winners!
@MommyShorts, @NinjaMomBlog & I @LetMeStart had FUN hosting last night’s Twitter Party. And – as promised! - our moderators
@NoDomesticDiva, @MotherhoodWTF & @NapsHappen brought the Funny.
Good times, people. Good times.
This was all sponsored by Britely.com
where anyone can join in to make & share
little digital picture books with:
Your Favorite Recipe - So easy to share
Pictures From an Outing With Your Kid - It Can Look Like a Book Starring Her
A Personalized eCard - Birthdays, Anniversaries, Milestones
Pictures From Your Vacations - Made Into a Scrapbook to Share
Gift Wish Lists - For Mother’s Day or With Kid Gift Ideas for the Grandparents
The options are endless & FREE. So sign up NOW.
Also? It’s a great place to read something that’ll make you laugh
while waiting in line at the grocery store. Trust me.