A Letter to Grandpa

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

This post was in response to the Lightning & the Lightning-Bug Flicker of Inspiration Writing Prompt.

The prompt went like this:

We want you to write a letter to someone you’ve never met. Literally any person, living or dead, that is to date un-met by you.

My Mom’s Dad died when she was a little girl. I’ve always wondered about him, and I would love, love to talk to him.  Because I have questions and reassurances for him.

Who would you like to write a letter to?  Would you want a reply, or just get something off your chest?

If you are new to Let Me Start By Saying…welcome!  Read some fiction, short memoir posts,  About Kim, or for some funny, my Favorite Posts page.  Thanks for visiting!

1 Click Below = 1 Vote = Happy Kim

Comments

Comments

1. Vicky says

I would write a letter to my grandmother, my dad’s mom. She died when he was 14. I know she was a ballerina and that she married my grandfather and helped him run the family dairy. But that’s it, my grandfather died when I was a few months old so I never got to know him either.

I’d want to know how she grew up, what it was like going from being a ballerina and teaching and dancing to being a wife, mother and running a family dairy farm.

I know tons about my mom’s family, but little about my dad’s. He won’t talk about it. So I think my grandmother would be the person I want to ask.

First of all, your handwriting’s lovely. I’m embarrassed by mine, which may be why I’m delaying working on my response. This was so touching, so full of love and curiosity. I have a great grandfather whom I would love to write to. I wonder if he’s where I got my love of animals, my love of storytelling.

I loved this line “did you leave your fingerprints in my blood, but no one feels them like I do?” Lovely, just lovely.

Thanks for participating in this prompt. It’s one of my favorites to date, and I’m glad you shared your letter with us.
    Katie @ Chicken Noodle Gravy recently posted..Where You’re GoingMy Profile

I joined up with this after reading yours. It has stuck with me all weekend and I felt like if I didn’t get it out it would stay with me constantly bouncing in my head until I went crazy.
    Heather Bush recently posted..A Scientist?My Profile

This is wonderful. I have several letters I wrote to my now deceased grandparents. They mean everything to me.

BTW, congrats on your Snow White. I thought it was the best of the week. I mean at leats you didn’t kill Jack and Jill.
    Lance recently posted..The Robot DoctrineMy Profile

I wish I had stuff like that. My grandparents were all gone by the time I was 18.

Thanks for the congrats…and letting me know about it! I finally have a little time & access to the www, so now I can go catch up on my reading.

5. Becky says

You made me cry Kim. I too never met my grandfather (my dad’s dad), and have many questions that I would like answered.

Thanks, Jessie. He died about 60 years ago, I think it was a heart attack? It was sudden, and my mom was about 6 years old. Her mom (my Nana) never remarried, was a teacher in a 1-room schoolhouse, moved around about a dozen times with my mom over her school years.. I would have loved to have known them as a couple. My Nana would never have married anyone who was anything less than really, really interesting.

LOL! I do admit, my handwriting is pretty clean most of the time. And I handwrite a lot, so I’m quite practiced at it. ;)
      Side note: one of my SILs has the handwriting of a serial killer. Trying to decipher anything she ever writes is a task that ends in such varied interpretations of her tiny, uneven scratches that it gives us days of entertainment.